The ULTIMATE Terre Haute Guide! 50 Things to Do in Terre Haute with Kids
If you’re looking for things to do in Terre Haute with kids, this HauteHappenings.com guide is the ultimate resource! Click on the links to be taken to other posts on our site with more information!
(This guide was originally published in 2014 and updated in January 2019. As new fun moves into town, we’ll continue updating!)
Things to Do in Terre Haute with Kids
- Your Terre Haute Children’s Museum membership gets you into 280+ other science museums throughout the country for FREE! We’ve used our membership in San Diego, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Chicago (the Field Museum and the Museum of Science and Industry, Bermuda, Phoenix, Iowa, Washington, Montana, and Las Vegas! Read 11 reasons why we love our children’s museum membership here.
- Did you know that we have 15 pools, beaches, and splash parks to enjoy? See them all in our Swimming Pool Guide.
- Keep moving! Find a list of 37 sports teams and active classes for kids in this guide.
- Each month, we publish a kid-friendly calendar of things to do in Terre Haute with kids.
- Want to include your pet? Check out our guide to places where pets are welcome in Terre Haute.
- Each spring we publish a summer camp guide that includes every single camp opportunity that we can find. New guides are usually published in April!
This post on Haute Happenings is proudly sponsored by the YMCA of the Wabash Valley.
The YMCA of the Wabash Valley (in Clay County and Vigo County) wants to help build a healthy spirit, mind and body for all!
Kids are welcomed into the YMCA for child watch (while parents work out!), themed kids’ night out events in Vigo County (parents can enjoy an evening with adults while kids are having fun at the Y), holiday events, Healthy Kids’ Day, fall festival, day camp, summer camp, tutoring, sports and more!
Want to join a team? The YMCA of the Wabash Valley has youth and adult sports teams that include volleyball, basketball, and indoor soccer in Clay County, and new opportunities on the horizon in Vigo County!
Aqua Aerobics classes take place every Monday and Wednesday at RHIT from 8:30-9:30 am! This class is FREE to YMCA members only.
Outdoors in Terre Haute
- Did you know that Vigo County has the best mountain bike trail in Indiana?
- In the fall, it’s tradition to visit an apple orchard and/or pumpkin patch.
- On Saturdays in summer, you’ll find vendors, visitors, and residents shopping at the Terre Haute Farmers’ Market.
- Little ones love to play in this outdoor classroom!
- Beaches in Indiana? It’s true! Check out our local beach list!
Terre Haute Kid-Friendly Restaurants
Kids need to eat! These posts will help you feed the kids in Terre Haute.
- Save a buck or two: Kids Eat Free in Terre Haute
- Don’t waste a gorgeous day! We have a list of places to eat outside in Terre Haute
- How far are you willing to drive…for excellent donuts?
- Did you know that Terre Haute has an airport and the Fly-In cafe is open to the public?
- One of our nearest neighbors (Brazil, Indiana) has an old-fashioned soda fountain shop. It makes for a sweet outing!
- Terre Haute has a cereal bar, and kids love it.
Terre Haute Hidden Gems
This is one of our favorite sections of our website! Check it out when you need some inspiration for local things to do!
Toddlers and Preschoolers in Terre Haute
Have little ones? Here’s a list of our favorite toddler and preschool activities!
- Art Start at the Swope Art Museum (Preschool)
- Tot Time at the Terre Haute Children’s Museum (Preschool)
- Visit the NEW library space at the Vigo County Public Library
- Sensory-friendly movies
- Play in our FREE, outdoor nature classroom
- For parents of little ones, we have a local facebook group just for you called “Babies Play Too! An Online Community for Parents of Babies in Terre Haute.”
- Before you enroll your child in preschool, check out this list of reader-recommended preschools! And when your child is ready for kindergarten, check out this post for kindergarten registration information.
Events and Activities for Older Kids
- The Terre Haute Children’s Museum recently opened a GIGANTIC new exhibit–a two-story ropes challenge course. This a major addition to Terre Haute. See pictures and find tips in our Ropes Challenge Course spotlight post!
- What can teenagers do in Terre Haute? We’ve found 25 great options for tweens and teens!
Free Things to Do in Terre Haute with Kids
Like free fun? Check out this list of our favorite FREE Terre Haute activities!
- Free summer bowling
- Visit chicks and rabbits at Rural King
- Visit the petting zoo at the Vigo County Fair
- FREE clothing/toy swaps
- Second Saturday Art Events at the Swope Art Museum
Not every day can be sunny and 70 degrees! Use our Indoor Entertainment Guide to find fun any day or season.
Terre Haute Travel
If you love to travel, check out these great Midwest road trip ideas!
- Chicago–Field Museum
- Brown County
- Big Splash Adventure in French Lick, Indiana
- Splash Island in Plainfield, Indiana
- Natural Valley Ranch
- 11 tips to make your trip to Holiday World a splashin’ success
Terre Haute Gives Back
If you’ve ever wanted to give back, serve, or volunteer as a family, check out these posts for local ideas.
- 4 stories from foster care in the Wabash Valley
- 5 ways to fight social injustice as a family
- 24 local ways to volunteer with kids
- Give what you can; take what you need: a Haute Happenings guide to local blessing boxes
Fresh, Local Finds in the Wabash Valley
Want to eat fresh or shop local? Here are some ideas!
- Mobile Market Traveling Produce
- Why we love the Downtown Terre Haute Farmers’ Market
- Local strawberry patches
- Local apple orchards
- Experience gift ideas for the Wabash Valley
Education in Vigo County
- Terre Haute public schools are in the Vigo County School Corporation. We have posts on our site that include the vision of “Team Vigo” from the superintendent, Vigo County kindergarten registration, the Swim by 7 Program for all kindergarteners and more.
- Interested in homeschooling? We have a list of 25 Wabash Valley homeschool resources.
Don’t miss the fun!
Each season, Haute Happenings publishes a seasonal calendar. Click here to see the latest seasonal calendar!
We also publish updates on the Haute Happenings facebook page each night at 8:30 p.m. EST and share the fun we’re having in and around town on instagram!
To be sure you don’t miss out, sign up for email updates and visit our facebook page often. (Unfortunately, the chances are slim that Haute Happenings updates will pop up in your facebook newsfeed if you don’t make a point to interact regularly with our page!)