Teens are great! They are entering that stage of life where they are learning how to be independent, they want to have fun, they are creative, they have ideas and opinions and they are teeming with excitement and energy (when they aren’t sleeping, that is). Channeling that excitement and energy into positive activities means happy teens AND parents! That’s why we have compiled this list of teen-based entertainment options in Terre Haute and the Wabash Valley. Check out these local favorites!
25 Things for Teenagers to Do in Terre Haute
- At $10/person, you can’t beat this one-of-a-kind experience seeing just under 200 big cats in Center Point, Indiana at the Exotic Feline Rescue Center.
- For indoor, competitive fun, try laser tag with a group of friends at X-Treme Lazer Tag.
- The Vigo County Public Library has a whole host of programs for teens! They have everything from coding to gaming to escape rooms to a Fandom Prom! (Can I go to this, please?)!
- Is your teen crafty? Charm School might be the perfect activity! Charm School is a great group activity where your teen can choose the colors and style for their creations.
- Is your teen complaining about being bored? Send them to Deming Park! They can play Frisbee Golf (check out Crossroads Disc Golf Club for more info), take snaps with the graffiti wall, hike some trails or channel their inner child and play on the playground.
- Do you have an art lover? The Swope Art Museum is absolutely free and has some amazing inspiration, right here in Terre Haute. The Swope Education Center also hosts FREE Second Saturday Studio programs.
- Is your teen steady on a skateboard? Drive over to the skate park at Voorhees Park!
- The Vigo County YMCA has exercise classes for teens of all ages and a pool with open swim hours.
- In June, The Terre Haute Children’s Museum will be opening a new exhibit designed for older children and teens, a ROPES COURSE!
- Does your teen play Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh!, or Dungeons and Dragons? Full Moon Games hosts weekly events and tournaments! Also check out Terre Haute Comics and Sewer Lair Toys.
- There is nothing like freshly picked Indiana produce in the summer! If your teen has a green thumb, they can go produce pickin’ at The Pickery, or head North to Ditzler Orchard for strawberry, blueberry and raspberry picking in the spring/early summer and apple picking in the fall!
- If you have a gamer, eBash is the place to go! eBash offers public and private parties, tournaments and everything in between.
- If you’re looking for something unique to take your teen to do, try Accushot Virtual World! It’s an opportunity for your teen to try virtual reality games in a safe place and for a reasonable price.
- Rollerskating is still a thing! Teens can go solo or bring a friend to the Wigwam Skate & Event Center or Terre Haute Skate World.
- For some high stakes, problem solving fun, try the escape room in Terre Haute, Escape Terre Haute.
- Does your teen like an active adventure? Griffin Bike Park is an amazing place to go bike some trails no matter what your skill level is!
- Who doesn’t love ice cream and frozen yogurt? Stop by Sweet Science Ice Cream and Yogurt Lab or The Dreamery Creamery.
- Movies are always a great hit with teens, especially without those pesky parents, go to AMC Showplace 12, AMC Honey Creek 8, or drive down to Cinema 67 Drive-In in Spencer for a real throwback experience! (Plans are in the works for the Moon Lite Drive-In Theater in Terre Haute to open in late summer 2018!)
- Is your teen into roleplay? There is a medieval combat and roleplay group right here in Terre Haute! The Amtgard Group runs battle games using foam weapons from 1-4pm every Saturday at Hawthorne Park!
- If you’re looking for a spot with a little bit of everything, Bogey’s Family Fun Center has something for ALL ages!
- Learn how to bowl at the Terre Haute Bowling Center, Vigo Bowl and Imperial Lanes!
- Hungry? How about coffee or cereal at Terre Haute’s cereal bar, The Milky Way Cafe?
- If your teen likes music, they can catch some tunes at The Foxhole, The Terre Haute Symphony Orchestra, Rose-Hulman Hatfield Hall, and Tilson Auditorium.
- In addition to excellent theater programs at local high schools, young thespians and backstage creators (set, makeup, costume) can find their place at Community Theater or Children’s Theatre.
- If sports are your teen’s thing, ISU Athletics have some fantastic sports teams and great venues. Local moms have also shared stories with us of how they’ve rented indoor athletic facilities (such as the indoor gym at Bouncin’ Barn!) for their teens and their friends! You can also use our Athletic Guide for everything from drop-in boxing gyms to sports teams for kids and teens.
- Up for a treasure hunt? The Terre Haute Parks and Vigo County Parks are great places for geocaching!
When I was a teen, I remember constantly complaining that there was nothing to do! I wish I had some of these suggestions back then. Tell us, what is your teen’s favorite thing to do?
Author Bio: Emily Murray is a native Hoosier and has been a Hautian implant since coming to ISU for college in 2003. She has a five year old daughter, and four amazing bonus kids whose lives she is lucky enough to partake in with her significant other Christopher. Emily works in the nonprofit world and dabbles in photography, dog cuddling, running and eating (lots of eating).