Our family recently spent a fabulous weekend in Fishers, Indiana! Fishers is about 1 hour and 45 minutes from Terre Haute, and it was a great little destination for our family. It was an easy drive but special because it was just beyond our “usual” Indy destinations.
(If you have a local YMCA membership, be sure to stick with me to the end. You need to hear the details of the Indiana YMCA Membership Reciprocity Program! You’ll have tons of fun and save money!)
To read more about our weekend of fun, check out these posts:
Cozy and Comfortable in the Prairie Guest House Bed & Breakfast
Air balloons, Animals, Tomahawks, Theater, and Interactive History at Conner Prairie
One highlight of our weekend was our visit to the Fishers YMCA.
A YMCA as a vacation destination?
But check out these pictures!
This is not your average YMCA.
There were two slides. (FYI-No floaties are allowed on the slides. To use the slides, you have to pass a swim test. The swim test involved treading water for 10 seconds and swimming from one side of the pool to the other. My five-year-old finally worked up the courage to take the test. She passed and had a blast going down the slides. Her one regret was not attempting the swim test earlier! Find out more details on the Fishers YMCA website.)
A splash pad.
Shaded seating areas.
And a wading pool with zero depth entry and fountains.
And if you happen to be in the area on a crummy day, guess what? There are two indoor pools! One is a “normal” pool for laps and swimming; the second is a shallower pool with buckets and fountains for kids.
All of the pools were supervised by lifeguards.
This facility felt more like a traditional water park than a YMCA.
Know Before You Go:
- Goggles that cover your nose aren’t allowed unless your child can demonstrate that he/she can completely fill them with water and then clear them underwater.
- You can bring in food as long as you eat it in the grass.
- All flotation devices must be Coast Guard approved.
One of the best parts of our visit to the Fishers YMCA is that it was completely free for us because we’re members of the Vigo County YMCA! All Indiana YMCAs have a reciprocal agreement in which you can use your home membership for FREE access at other Indiana YMCA facilities! (Please note, I recommend calling the YMCA at your destination before you visit. This statewide program is relatively new. You’ll probably want to confirm details before you travel!)
Indiana YMCA Membership Reciprocity Program Details
- The Reciprocal Membership Program is valid for YMCA full facility/full privilege members only.
- Program-only participants may upgrade to a full membership at any time to qualify.
- Silver Sneakers members may use other Silver Sneakers locations at any time.
- Visitors to other Ys must present a valid YMCA membership card and photo ID upon the first visit and complete a visiting member waiver or standard membership application form with liability waiver.
- YMCA full facility/full privilege members must use their home branch at least 51% of the time.
- Program discounts do not apply.
If you live in another state, don’t feel left out! Many other states have similar reciprocal programs! Call the YMCA you would like to visit to see if a reciprocal program is available to you.