1. Free books and prizes. Every child who reads this summer gets a book to keep!
Every child will receive a free book to keep when they turn in a completed Bingo Card (ages 0-5) or Reading Log (ages 6-12) at the Library. Teens and Adults who log their reading hours online will be entered into weekly prize drawings.
At the end of Summer Reading, everyone who has logged hours will have a chance at a grand prize drawing for their age category. All prize winners are randomly selected from logged hours, Bingo Cards or Reading Logs.
2. Celebrate good times. One of my favorite features of the summer reading program is that the library hosts a fun and free summer party! In June, head to the West Branch to celebrate summer.
3) Don’t get sucked into the black hole. Students can lose their educational momentum over the summer, but a summer reading program can help prevent kids from losing the progress they made during the past school year. Read picture books out loud, read a chapter of a great book before bed, read outside in the backyard, maybe even let your child sneak a flashlight under the blankets to finish that the last of their favorite page-turner. It is summer, after all. The summer reading program at the library might be the motivation your child needs to keep thumbing through the pages of a good book.
4) Community events such a drive-in movie and planetarium special features. Throughout the summer, attend special community events hosted by the Vigo County Public Library. These special features are sure to make for a *stellar* summer! (FYI, The planetarium event will happen on June 18.)
5) Storytime. No summer library schedule would be complete without storytime!
6) Maker Space Camp and Escape Room for Tweens. The summer reading program isn’t just for the littlest learners! Tinker, create, solve puzzles, and work as a team to find clues and escape.
7)Unleash a universe of creative ideas. Explore your creative side with events such as theater performances and a creative writing workshop.
8) It’s all free! The library staff members work hard to provide you with free family fun. We’ve shared highlights in this post, but you’ll want to click over to check out the complete event guide online or you can pick up your printed event guide at the library.