Will the weather cooperate for outdoor trick or treating? It’s hard to say for sure! If it does storm or get frigid cold, no worries. Here are fourteen indoor Halloween activities to check out for Halloween in and around Terre Haute!
Indoor Halloween Activities in Terre Haute and the Wabash Valley
- Both branches (west and main) of the Vigo County Public Library are ready to welcome your family into their cozy buildings for some Halloween fun. Join the costume swap, wear your costume to story time, attend the Halloween party, or start your night of trick or treat fun with a free book! Read all about it in this post on our website.
- The weather is always fine inside the Terre Haute Children’s Museum! Their big event of the season is their Healthy Halloween Spooktacular. Museum guests of all ages are encouraged to dress in costume and explore over 20 activity stations around the museum. Community organizations lead activities to show the fun and not-so-spooky side of healthy living and making healthy choices: Costume contest, health screenings, face painting, fingerprinting ids, photo booth, Thriller Dance Off, and more. Join them for a hauntingly healthy good time! Families will also love the seasonal theming of their October events such as Baby Explorer’s Five Little Pumpkins session and and Tot Time’s Pumpkin Science!
- Did you know that there will be a Halloween Tree at American Rental? This year’s Halloween tree will have candy on Wed Oct 30 and Thur Oct 31 for any Trick or Treaters that DARE to stop by for a SCARE!
- Middle school and high school students, this one’s for you! Wed Oct 30 at 6:00 p.m, make plans to attend Zombie Night hosted by Maryland Community Church. You and your friends are invited to compete in an epic game where capture the flag meets tag, meets hide ‘n seek, meets amazing race, meets nerf wars, meets zombie apocalypse! It’s Survivors VS Zombies to capture the cure!
- No need to bundle up when you can trick or treat in the climate-controlled wonderfulness of one of our local malls. On October 31 from 5:00-7:00 p.m., Trick or Treat at The Meadows.
- Also on October 31 from 5:00-6:00 p.m., trick or treating at Honey Creek Mall. Participating stores will hand out candy at their doors; walk the mall and stop at stores that have the orange “Trick-or-Treat Here” signs posted. Costumes are welcome, but no face masks or weapons will be allowed for the safety and security of all. They want to make this a frightfully enjoyable evening for everyone.
- Dress in your Halloween best for Kids Night Out Spooktacular at Vigo County YMCA. Sat Oct 26. 5:00-10:00 p.m. Kids ages 18 months – 12 years come to the Y dressed in your Halloween best. The event will feature Halloween themed activities and crafts, a dance party, games and more! Members-$15 for first child, $10 each additional child. Non members-$25 for first child, $15 each additional child.
- You can stay INSIDE your car if you attend the free Halloween movie at the Moon Lite Drive-In! Trunk or Treat and Free Movie at the Moon Lite Drive-In Theater hosted by Wabash Valley Jeep Junkies and Terre Town PTO! Gates open at 4:30 to the public, 4:00 for Jeep Junkies. Trunk or Treat from 5 to 7pm, and the free movie (Casper) follows at 7:15 on Sun, October 27!
- A chilly rain won’t stop the fun at Chick-fil-A’s Halloween party! On Mon Oct 28. at 5:00 p.m., wear a costume, activities, treat bags, online best costume competition. We are going to post photos of the kids that want to participate and come to the event online. The photo with the most votes/likes will receive a Chick-fil-A basket of goodies.
- Feeling brave? If you dare, most of the local haunted houses will be up and running on Halloween night. See our full list of haunted places HERE.
- Let’s do the time warp again! AMC Theatres will be showing The Rocky Horror Picture Show on October 25!
- Rain or cold can’t stop the Halloween Skate at Terre Haute Skate World on October 25. Come skating and have a SPOOKY GOOD TIME!
- On October 27, dress up for the Halloween Costume Contest at Bogey’s Family Fun Center. Must be 13 years of age or under to participate. Prizes will be given for Scariest, Cutest, Funniest, and Best Homemade. Prizes will also be given to all participants.
- Trunk or treats aren’t quite as fun if it rains. But there are a few trunk or treats with plans to move indoors (such as the one at First Baptist on October 30th) if there’s inclement weather!
- Frights Night at the ISU bookstore will be mostly indoors. Join them for an extra spooky time at the ISU Bookstore! We have all kinds of ghoulish things to do, and they’re all FREE! We’ll be having a boxing ring, a selfie station, poke-a-pumpkin (with your choice of school supplies, discounts, or candy as prizes), face in a cookie, spooky coloring, a tic tac toe station, as well as a skull hunt on campus (prize list TBA). Hot chocolate and popcorn are free for the event as well. We’ll also be having a pumpkin decorating contest with frighteningly good prizes!
You can find lots more Halloween outdoor fun (food, bounce houses, hayrides, magic shows, and more!) in our gigantic Trunk or Treat Guide!