Special thanks to our summer sponsor, the Indiana State University Community School of the Arts, for making our guide to summer theater, dance, art, and music possible. Scroll down to see how to make this summer as creative, artistic, and colorful as possible!
Hurry! If you register by May 1st, 2018, you can save 10% on Community School of the Arts summer programs.
Scholarships are also available on a first-come, first-serve basis with proof of free/reduced lunches or must meet state income requirements. Scholarships exclude Bricks 4 Kids (B4K), Rock Camp and Youth Music Camp.
Summer Fine Art Camps Offered by Community School of the Arts
- June 4-8. Discover your talents! Ages 5-15. 8 a.m.-5 p.m. This week we discover how to strut your stuff and have a great audition in our theater class. Our music class is great for kids who love music and want to learn some of the basics of a variety of instruments. We will have a day specifically dedicated to focus individually on guitar, piano, percussion, and songwriting. You will unleash your abilities in this stimulating and thrilling portrayal of all art can be. Our day will also include swimming! Lunch will be provided by Sodexo.
- June 4-8. Lose it to the Music! Ages 9-13. 8 a.m.-12 p.m. Lose it to the Music is a half-day camp that is designed for kids who are interested in experiencing a variety of instruments. A few of the instruments included in the week are piano, bucket drumming, songwriting, guitar and a few surprises. Join us and see where your imagination, creativity and talent can take you.
- June 11-15. Art Sampler: Nature Unleashed. 8 a.m.-5 p.m. camp for ages 5-15. In this weeks creative and innovative art segment, we will be taking every day ordinary items found in nature and turning them into extraordinary pieces of art. Take a walk on the wild side when we learn to be lions, tigers, bears and all things non human in our theater class. We will learn how body language, voices and maybe even some dramatic costumes and makeup can transform us into something wild. We will also explore the gardens and greenhouse on campus, where we will learn how to make fresh salsa! Our day will also include swimming! Lunch will be provided by Sodexo.
- June 18-22. Art Sampler: Earth, Wind, and Fire. 8 a.m.-5 p.m. for ages 5-15. Take all you know about the elements and add ingenuity and inspiration and you have an invigorating and exemplary sector of art. The class will learn a dance that showcases the Earth, wind and fire in forms of dance. The dance will be more modern. At the end of the week we will perform this song/dance for the parents! In theater this week, we will learn how mother nature can be a character in a story. From being a friend or foe to setting the stage, we will explore how the elements shape a story. We will also explore the gardens and greenhouse on campus. This week we’ll learn how to make fresh, homemade pizza! Our day will also include swimming! Lunch will be provided by Sodexo.
- June 18-22. Color me crazy! 8 a.m.-12 p.m. class for ages 5-9. Explore the vibrant world of art in this vivacious half day art series that will color your mind and take art to the next level!
- June 25-29. Art Sampler: Anything Goes! 8 a.m.-5 p.m. for ages 5-15. Children will explore and engage in a wide variety of dramatically different activities in art, music, and theater! Have fun being weird, silly and creative as we learn the art of improv in theater class. Originality, imagination and exploration will be put to the test in this unplugged rendition of art class. Also, each day will be a new music making experience, different genre, different day, our hope is that you leave the class with uncontrolled excitement for new and different music. We will also explore the gardens and greenhouse on campus. This week we’ll learn how to make fresh, homemade pizza!Our day will also include swimming! Lunch will be provided by Sodexo.
- July 2-3. Art Sampler: Movin’ & Groovin’. 8 a.m.-5 p.m. class for ages 5-15. Movin’ & Groovin’ is camp that is designed for kids who are interested in experiencing a variety of musical instruments. Shake your groove thang, with our new dance program! This class is based around the act of singing and performing at the same time. Lunch will be provided by Sodexo.
- July 5-6. Art Sampler: Drama-O-Rama. 8 a.m.-5 p.m. for ages 5-15. Let’s explore all the aspects of great storytelling as we write and perform our very own one act play! Lunch will be provided by Sodexo.
- July 16-20. Stage Craft. 8 a.m.- 5 p.m. for ages 6-15. An age-appropriate play, written by ISU theater alumni, Tommy Jammerson, will enable students to thrive on a college stage, learning aspects of theater including directing and acting. Students will spend part of the afternoon designing and building props, creating an environment specific to the play. Students will spend the rest of the afternoon participating in specialized exercises that teach them how to project their voices, develop a character, and most importantly, to acquire the confidence to act on a stage in front of an audience. The class will culminate with a performance for family and friends. Lunch will be provided by Sodexo.
- July 22-28. Youth Music Residential or Commuter Camp. Join us for a 6-day and 5-night resident program that celebrates singing and strings orchestra through master classes, private lessons, concerts and guided listening. Music activities are led by Indiana State University’s School of Music faculty Erik Rohde, Yana Weinstein and their students. Come for an immersive experience on the ISU campus ready to learn and have fun! This camp is for children and teens ages 12 and up, and residents under the age of 14 must be accompanied by an adult.
FINE ART CAMPS: Theater, Dance, Art, & Music
Summer Camps and Classes from the Swope Art Museum Summer Art Studio
Single-week AM & PM sessions are $70 for museum members (Click HERE to find out more about museum membership) and $90 for non-members. Classes occur Monday through Friday with sessions offered in both the morning and afternoon. Each session is two hours long. Except where noted for photography classes, all materials are provided. Students in clay classes may wish to bring a box for carrying artwork home. Registration opens April 2.
Visit the Swope Summer Art Studio website for registration forms and scholarship information. You can also follow the Swope Summer Youth Art Program facebook page.
Summer Class Options from Charm School
Charm School will offer 5 full weeks (10 themed sessions) of Arts and Crafts Camps for ages 5 and up (boys and girls welcome). You can purchase a whole week of either time slot for $115 or pick specific days for $25 per class. Purchasing a whole week will get you a goodie bag and a Charm School T Shirt.
Dates, Times and Themes will be posted on Eventbrite and can be found at www.CharmSchoolTH.com by April 1st.
June 11-15 10-12 Fairy Tales – Think princesses and pirates, unicorns, dragons and fairies, create crafts and artwork that incorporates all of your favorite things into one fun week!
2-4 Outer Space – Take a trip with us into outer space, meet aliens, paint a galaxy, and create other space-themed projects!
June 18-22 10-12 V.I.P. – Lights, Camera, Action! Be a Star on our Walk of Fame! Selfies, cameras, name art and BLING are what you should be looking forward to this week!
2-4 Nature – Create projects with inspiration from the desert, under the sea, the forest and a backyard garden. There are so many fun things to create this week.
June 25-29 10-12 Boho – Make trendy bohemian style crafts and decorations.
2-4 Famous Artists – “Meet” five famous artists this week and learn about their techniques and subject matter, then create your own masterpiece using what you’ve learned.
July 9-13 10-12 Carnival – We are taking a trip to see elephants, clowns, puppets and other carnival creatures! Wild and crazy fun!!
2-4 Techniques and Art Sampler – Try out art supplies that you’ve never tried before, learn new techniques and create pieces based on those techniques.
July 16-20 10-12 Summer Fun – Think sun, sand, the beach, and other things you can do in the summer!
2-4 Sweet Treats – Cupcakes, popsicles, and donuts galore! Create art involving sweet treats and more!
Summer Fine Art Camps from Saint Mary-of-the-Woods College
June 18-22. Photography/Photoshop Camp. This is a day camp for girls and boys entering grades 6-9 (8:45 arrival, 4:15 pm pickup). Learn photography techniques, tips and tricks. Benefit from the beautiful SMWC campus and natural environment to capture some amazing photographs. Campers are required to bring their own cameras for this camp. (Any cameras such as point and shoot or DSLRs will be fine; please no film cameras).
June 18-22. Music Theatre. This is a day camp for girls and boys entering grades 8-12. Music Theatre will be a five day camp focusing on how to audition for and be in a Broadway Musical. The camp will be held on the SMWC theatre department stage and will teach acting, singing and dancing. There will be a final performance at the end of the week featuring solos and group numbers learned throughout the week. Students will need to complete a questionnaire prior to attending, and memorization work will be expected to be done during non-camp hours.
KinderCenter Presents Kindermusik Summer Classes
Ms. Rhonda has finalized her final schedule of Kindermusik summer classes for ages 0-7!
KinderCenter has summer classes for infants, toddlers, preschoolers, and world adventures ages 5-7.
Preschool families will definitely want to check out the PlayShops!
PlayShops are fun, educational drop-in sessions that include songs, movement activities, a story and crafts all centered on a theme. Each PlayShop is unique since each PlayShop has a different theme. This year’s PlayShop themes include Creepy Crawly, Down on the Farm, Color My World, Going on a Picnic, Cooking at Grandma’s House, All About Me, Camping Trip, and Outer Space!
Additional Fine Art Camps
Summer Paint Camps by Robyn Michelle for ages 4 and up with the following themes: Boho and Brushes, Superheroes, Nature, Under the Sea, Rainbows and Unicorns, and Travel and Adventure. Each week is $85 for 5 canvas paintings.
Summer Theatre Camps from River City Players at Community Theatre of Terre Haute. Three camp opportunities for ages 7-9, 9-12, and teenagers. All camps culminate in a showcase performance. Registration deadline is June 1.
Art and craft classes at Joann Fabrics. Learn to sew, emoji cookies, knit finger puppets, learn to quilt, sew simple summer shorts, and more!
Pottery and Ceramics Classes for Kids at Deming Park
- June 10 from 2:00- 4:00 p.m. Family Day in Clay -all ages welcome Pinch Pot Mugs
- June 14 from 6:00- 8:00 Family Night in Clay best for ages 8 on up (limit 10 people- intro to wheel throwing- registration required)
- June 21 from 6:00-8:00 Family Night in Clay class -all ages welcome Cosmic Planet Bowls
- July 10 from 5:00- 7:00 p.m. Family Night in Clay (limit 10 people wheel throwing- registration required) best for ages 8 and up
- July 14 from 10:00-12:00 Family Day in Clay Class Ceramic Marionette Dolls
- July 16 from 5:00- 7:00 p.m. Elementary Clay Class (limit 10 people ages 8 and up- wheel throwing- registration required)
- July 20 from 6:00- 8:00 p.m. Family Night in Clay Class (wheel throwing limit 10 people best for ages 8 and up- registration required)
Summer Art Camp at Strive 365. July 23 – July 25. $75.00. Learn about different artists while learning about different painting techniques! Many fun art projects to participate in and take home!
We’re constantly adding new information to our guides. The following opportunities are on our radar, and we’ll update this page when we have more information!
- Terre Haute Guitar Club
- Art Smart Program at 14th and Chestnut Center
- Clay Classes for Kids at Deming Park
A big thank you to the Indiana State Community School of the Arts and our featured camp listings for helping to keep this site FREE to readers like you. Please help us thank them by signing up for their summer programming and telling them you found their info through Haute Happenings!
As always, typos happen and event details change. Please confirm with original sources before solidifying your summer plans. Haute Happenings can’t be held responsible for printed errors or program changes, but we will celebrate with you if our info helped your family to have an awesome summer!