Fine Art Camps: Theater, Art, & Music
Summer is a great time to encourage kids to explore their creative side with art, drama, and music!
Featured Camps: Community School of the Arts
Registration is now open for our partners at Community School of the Arts at Indiana State University!
Not only do our partners at ISU CSA have appealing themes, but their hours likely work for families who are looking for daytime programming that coordinates with work hours!
Choose as many sessions as your family wants or needs!
- May 30 – June 2: Van Gogh and Friends (Grades K-5). Tu, W, Th and F from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- June 5 -9: Toymakers (Grades K-5). M, Tu, W, Th and F from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- June 5-9: Toymakers (Grades 6-8). M, Tu, W, Th and F from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- June 12-16: Design, Create, Build (Grades K-5). M, Tu, W, Th and F from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- June 20-23: Comic Book Adventure (Grades 6-8). Tu, W, Th and F from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- June 20-23: Comic Book Adventure (Grades K-5). Tu, W, Th and F from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- June 26-30: STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) (Grades 6-8). M, Tu, W, Th and F from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- June 26-30: STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) (Grades K-5). M, Tu, W, Th and F from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- July 3-7: Nature Unleashed (Grades K-5). M, W, Th and F from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
- July 17-21: Camp Rewind (Grades 6-8). M, Tu, W, Th and F from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- July 17-21: Camp Rewind (Grades K-5). M, Tu, W, Th and F from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM
- July 9 – 15. Rock Camp! (5th – 8th grade). Su, M, Tu, W, Th, F and Sa from 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
- July 9 -15. Rock Camp! (9th – 12th grade). Su, M, Tu, W, Th, F and Sa from 8:00 AM to 9:00 PM
July 13 -July 15. WOW! Workshop on Woodwinds (Entering grades 9-12). Th, F and Sa from 8:45 AM to 6:00 PM
Featured Camps: Swope Summer Art Studio
June 5th– June 9th.
- Morning Session 9 AM – 11 AM. Instructor: Madison King. Title: 101- Character Design. Age: 13-18. Description: Have you ever wanted to design your own hero? Or sidekick? Or even a villain? In this class, students will learn the basics of character design. They will go over shape language, design, and how to create simplified mascots. By the end of the week, students will have created a complete character sheet featuring different poses and concepts for their lead character.
- Afternoon 12-2 PM. Instructor: Wyatt Lawson. Title: 102– Recycled Cities. Age: 4-7. Description: Calling all little architects, builders, and creative thinkers for this fun literary-art-based course. Each day students read a book and create different buildings, homes, parks, and more to add to our imagined city. By the end of the week, all students will have created a whole city made from recycled materials and their imagination.
June 12th– June 16th
- Morning 9 AM – 11 AM. Instructor: Sarah Trover. Title: 201- Dress to Mess. Age: 4-7.Description: Explore making artwork using your entire body and get messy in the process. This class will integrate all five of the senses while teaching the basics of art. Ages 4-7 can explore a variety of art materials, including clay, paint, and collage, during this class.
- Afternoon 12-2 PM. Instructor: Deanna Householder. Title: 202- Watercolor Environmental Art. Age: 13-18. Description: Explore various watercolor techniques with the theme of environmental art! Learn how art is used to spread a message and create art about an environmental topic of your choice! You will learn about watercolor techniques alongside learning how to paint flowers, landscapes, water, and other things to fit your artwork. By the end of the week, you will have completed an artwork relating to an environmental topic.
June 19th– June 23rd
- Morning 9 AM – 11 AM. Instructor: Ashley Ringo. Title: 301- Pop Art. Age: 11-14. Description: Have fun exploring, learning, and creating Pop Art! In this class we will look at Pop Art in the Swope’s very own collection. We’ll learn about some of the artists and the different elements of Pop Art. Then we will use a variety of techniques to create our own art. Students will have created their very own finished Pop Art piece by the end of the week.
- Afternoon 12-2 PM. Instructor: Jennefer Weeks. Title: 302- Mixed Media Portraits. Age: 8-11.Description: In this class, students will sharpen their skills in drawing people and faces while exploring different media. Students will learn how to create finished portraits by combing different mediums like paint, pencil, and collage. By the end of the class, each student will have multiple portraits to display.
June 26th– June 30th
- Morning 9 AM – 11 AM. Instructor: Caterina DeSantis. Title: 401- Mixed Media Collage. Age: 9-12. Description: Students will learn about and practice collaging as an art form. Throughout the week, students will explore their ability to create new images from existing ones and execute abstract art ideas. They will create collages with magazine scraps and learn how to integrate other mediums into their collages to create texture and visual interest.
- Afternoon 12-2 PM. Instructor: Hunter Greenwell. Title: Landscape Oil Painting. Age: 13-18. Description: Students will be introduced to oils and thinners and learn how to apply these mediums when painting. The course will focus on traditional methods for recreating landscapes on canvas, such as atmospheric perspective, color mixing, desaturating, and more. Students will use these techniques to create their own landscape paintings.
July 10th– July 14th
- Morning 9 AM – 11 AM. Instructor: Madison King. Title: 601- Comics 101. Age: 13-18. Description: In this class, students will explore the world of comics! Students will learn some of the history and different of comics, including paneling and creating a plot. Throughout the week, students will work toward creating a one-page comic of their very own!
- Morning 9 AM – 11 AM. Instructor: Ashley Ringo. Title: 602- Abstract/Expressive Painting. Age: 11-14. Description: In this class, we will look at the abstract and expressive paintings in the Swope’s collection. We’ll learn about some of the artists and the different ways they used paint to create their masterpieces. Students will learn about a variety of techniques for creating an abstract or expressive painting and will have created their very own finished piece by the end of the week.
- Afternoon 12-2 PM. Instructor: Caterina DeSantis. Title: 603- Art and Color from Nature/ Eco Printing. Age: 9-12. Description: In this class, students will explore many ways to create art from the nature around them. Students will learn how to transfer colors from sources such as flowers and plants onto fabric and paper, otherwise known as eco-printing. They will learn to see color in nature and derive it in their art, garnering beautiful results.
July 17th– July 21st
- Morning 9 AM – 11 AM. Instructor: Ashley Ringo. Title: 701-Adaptive Art Exploration. Age: 4-10. Description: This class is for children with both intellectual or developmental disabilities and their guardian. In this studio, we will explore a different master artist each day. We’ll start with a brief lesson and then work with various materials to create works of art based on our inspiration. Expect to work with paint, collage, chalk, etc. The class will combine education and hands-on learning with thoughtful consideration for children with different needs and abilities.
- Afternoon 12-2 PM. Instructor: Jennefer Weeks. Title: Model Magic Bug Aquariums. Age: 8-11. Description: In this class, students will create aquariums and their cute inhabitants out of found/recycled objects and model magic air-dry clay. Students will learn how to form different bugs and critters and design their homes. By the end of the week, students will have bug aquariums ready for display.
July 24th– July 28st
- Morning 9 AM – 11 AM & Afternoon 12-2 PM. Instructor: Tina Ginopolos. Title: 801-The Art of Theatre. Age: 7-18. Description: This two-session studio will allow artists to explore the connection between fine art and theater. Artists will start the day off by creating art projects to use as props and costumes for the final reader’s theater performance. Artists will break for an hour for lunch at 11 (please bring your own) and theater games. The afternoon session will be spent doing warm-ups, acting exercises, and rehearsing an original script inspired by a piece from the museum’s collection. Family and museum patrons are invited to watch the final performance on Friday at 12:30 pm. The Art of Theatre is an all-day experience. The class will cost $180 for non-members and $140 for members.
- Morning 9 AM – 11 AM. Instructor: Judith Irving. Title: 802- Wonderous Mandalas. Ages: 7-10. Description: Mandalas are a wonderous artform that brings much beauty to this world. A Mandala is an array of geometric or organic symbols that is usually circular in form. In fact, “mandala” is a Sanskrit word that means “circle” or “center.” In many Asian cultures the Mandala is a spiritual symbol used during meditation, representing the universe. In this art class our young artists will learn several techniques of how to make a mandala from drawing on paper with tools, to transferring images on coffee filters and even making aluminum foil mandalas that they can proudly hang on the wall.
- Morning 9 AM – 11 AM. Instructor: Debbie Goodin. Title: 803- Photo Adventures for Littles. Ages: 5-7. Description: Little photographers will explore the outdoors while creating fun photographs. Students will learn about the parts, functions, and handling of a camera. Basic photography skills will be taught, and they will complete photo art projects using pictures they create. Students must bring their own digital cameras, storage media, and fully charged batteries every day of class. Water bottles are recommended for our time outside. A signed permission slip from a parent or guardian is required to attend these sessions.
- Afternoon 12-2 PM. Instructor Jude Irving. Title: 804-Colorful Quilling and Paper Shaping. Ages: 9-12. Description: Quilling is the technique of rolling and shaping strips of paper to create an image. This art form goes back thousands of years to the Egyptians but was only made popular once practiced in Europe during the medieval times. During the Renaissance, Italian and French monks created beautiful quillings of biblical scenes for wall hangings. In this art class, our young artists will learn how to create fantastic images with strips of rolled paper that they can proudly hang on the wall.
- Afternoon 12-2 PM. Instructor: Debbie Goodin. Title: 805- Snapshot! Photography for Beginners. Ages: 8-10. Description: Explore our downtown area while creating artistic photographs. Participants will learn about the parts, functions and handling of a camera. Basic skills needed to compose successful photographs will be discussed, and we will complete photo art projects using some of the pictures they create. Students must bring their own digital cameras, storage media and fully charged batteries on every day of class. Water bottles are recommended for our time outside. A signed permission slip from a parent or guardian is required to attend these sessions.
Try Everything Dance Camps with Terre Haute Academy of Dance
This camp is designed to give the student a taste of all the dance styles offered at THAD! Throughout the week, students will be given lessons in ballet, modern, tap and jazz leading up to perform a studio showing on Friday for family and friends. Tuition is $125 per camp per dancer. Half is payable at the time of registration, the remainder is due the first day of the damp. To register or for more information, please email Patti: email@example.com or call (812) 238-9181.
A light snack break and craft time will be provided daily. Since the student is just trying out different styles, special shoes are not needed for this week. Socks can replace ballet slippers and jazz shoes. Dress shoes can replace tap shoes. Modern is done in bare feet. Leotard and tights are preferred. Dance skirt is optional.
- Camp One: Entering 1st through 2nd Grade. June 26-30. Monday to Friday, 1:00-3:00 pm. Monday through Thursday will include a Warm-up, Ballet, Modern, Jazz and Tap. Friday will include a Warm-up, Ballet, Review and a 2:30 showing for Family and Friends
- Camp Two: Entering 3rd through 5th Grade. July 17-21. Monday to Friday, 1:00-3:00 pm. Monday through Thursday will include a Warm-up, Ballet, Modern, Jazz and Tap. Friday will include a Warm-up, Ballet, Review and a 2:30 showing for Family and Friends
Summer music classes with KinderMusic at KinderCenter for infants through age 8.
Children birth to 3 years may choose to attend 7, 8, or all 9 classes offered for these age groups.
Children ages 3 1/2-5 years may choose any number of Playshops to attend.
World Adventures camp for children 6 – 8 years is July 24 – 28.
All Classes meet at KinderCenter, 4389 Wabash Avenue (1 mile west of SR 46 on US Highway 40)
Contact the KinderCenter to receive a summer brochure or go to KinderCenterMusik.com to see all the summer offerings.
Additional Fine Art Camps: Theater, Art, and Music
Summer Theatre Camps from River City Players at Community Theatre of Terre Haute.For more information call Sherrie Herner-Ellinger at 812-249-7275 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “APPLAUSE CAMP” – Creative Drama for Young Performers (Ages 7-9). Camp Times: Monday, July 10 through Thursday, July 13, 2023, from 9:00 am –12:00 noon. Friday, July 14 at 1:00 pm; Showcase Friday, July 14 at 2:30 pm.
- “BRAVO!” CAMP—Improving Young Performers (Ages 10-12). Audition Workshop: Saturday, July 8, 2022, 10:00 am – 12:00 noon. Camp Times: Monday, July 10 through Thursday, July 13, 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm. Friday, July 14 at 1:00 pm with Showcase Friday, July 14 at 2:30 pm.
- “CENTER STAGE”—Putting on a Play A to Z“ (For Teens). Audition Workshop: Saturday, July 22, 2022 – 10:00 am – 2:00 pm (bring lunch). Camp Times: Monday, July 24, 2023, through Friday, July 28, 10:00 pm – 3:00 pm. Showcase: Friday, July 28 at 2;30 pm.
- Heartland Music Day Camps Summer 2023. Choose from Brass bootcamp, woodwinds bootcamp, piano day camps, and elements of improvisation camp.
- TAM (Theater, Art, and Music) camps at Terre Haute Music School will allow students to do a short play, do summer art projects, and learn about different musical styles and instruments. There are camps for ages 7-9 and 10-14.
- Summer classes with Kindermusik at KinderCenter. Registration now open for infants up to age 8!
- Summer Youth Workshop at Community Theatre of Clay County. The Youth Summer workshop will be June 19th to the 23rd. 9 am to 12 each day with 2 performances Friday night.
- Makers Studio at 12 Points. Themes include: animal adventure, messy makers, under the sea, rainbows/unicorns, outer space, DIY, sweet life, 80’s, process play, super hero, Disney, and the beach!
- Performing Arts Workshop is a high school elective course that counts as a fine arts credit for high school students only (students entering grades 9, 10, 11, and 12 at the start of the 2023-2024 school year). Middle school students may participate; (students entering grades 7 and 8 at the start of the 2023-2024 school year) however, a high school credit will not be earned. The workshop will take place beginning Tuesday, May 30, 2023, and conclude Friday, June 23, 2023. PAW will be hosted at Woodrow Wilson Middle School in the Auditorium each day from 7:55 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The grade/credit is automatically recorded on the high school transcript.
- The Music Man at Maple Ave UMC. It’s FREE to participate in this program! For ages 5 and up.
We’re constantly adding new information to our guides. We’ll update this page when we have more information!
A big thank you to our sponsors and our featured camp listings for helping to keep this site FREE to readers like you. Please help us thank them by signing up for their summer programming and telling them you found their info through Haute Happenings!
As always, typos happen and event details change. Please confirm with original sources before solidifying your summer plans. Haute Happenings can’t be held responsible for printed errors or program changes, but we will celebrate with you if our info helped your family to have an awesome summer!