This week, my task was to nail down some dates for a June trip to Guatemala and buy our plane tickets. I almost failed to complete this week’s task. Would you like to hear what happened? Yes, of course you do. If you didn’t, you wouldn’t still be reading our blog.
Okay, here’s what happened:
- Hotels are expensive. We are cheap. We needed to find a cheap place to stay in lieu of an expensive hotel.
- Summer is a busy time in Guatemala. Lots of teams come down to help out during their summer vacation. Therefore, cheap housing can be hard to find.
- Cheap housing is even harder to find when you’re looking at very specific dates. The first part of June is very busy for us and the big kids at the babies’ home are out of school later in the month. Therefore, it made sense to go at the end of the month.
- Wonderful Berta (she’s part of the Buckner staff in Guatemala) found us an apartment for $7 per person, per night for June 22-29. Perfect.
- Except that airfare for those dates jumped from $350 to $500 over the course of a few hours. Not so perfect.
- We checked back again this morning, and guess what? If we were okay with moving our trip back just one day, we could get two tickets out of Indy for $351.
- We were definitely okay with moving our trip back by a single day.
And that is the story of how we became the proud owners of two roundtrip tickets to/from Indy to Guatemala for June 23-30.
Before you go, you should check out John and Emily’s blog. They’re in Guatemala right now, and they’ve had some answered prayers that we know you’ll want to read about.